Thomas on Big Data: A Practical Guide To Global Privacy Laws is divided into practical sections to make it easier for the practitioner. The goal is to allow you to answer key questions from your business teams about collection and use of personal information.
The work is not a list of laws; instead, it takes the confusing patchwork of laws and organizes it into clear categories:
- What is personal information?
- Are there restrictions on what can be collected?
- What notices are required?
- Do we have to give individuals choices about how their information is used?
- What considerations should be made if sharing or using information?
- What about if we want to use personal information to communicate directly with an individual?
Laws covered include:
- Email marketing
- Wiretap and eavesdropping
- Biometric children's privacy
- Spyware and adware
- Online privacy