Professional Responsibility and Liability provides quick and reliable answers to lawyering and ethical issues commonly facing attorneys in the day-to-day practice of law.
Written for both civil and criminal practitioners, this practice guide contains clear, concise explanations of all relevant provisions of the State Bar Act and the California Rules of Professional Conduct, as well as detailed coverage of lawyer discipline and State Bar Court proceedings.
The set also includes comparisons of the current and former rules that enable the reader to quickly and accurately determine the viability of court and ethics opinions issued prior to the current rules' adoption in 2018.
Topics covered include:
- Regulation of the practice of law
- Advertising and solicitation
- Attorney-client relationship
- Conflicts of interest
- Attorney fees and fee agreements
- Professional competence, diligence, and supervision
- Professional malpractice and professional liability
- Confidentiality and privilege
- Advocacy and representation
- Handling entrusted funds and property
- Termination of employment and withdrawal
- Comparative analysis of current and former California Rules of Professional Conduct