Can we help?
Mental Health Law provides a comprehensive discussion of the full spectrum of mental health law and the mental health system in Massachusetts. Authored by two Massachusetts judges, this treatise includes an overview of the applicable state agencies, definitions of terms used in the field, and discussion of the major caselaw.
The authors provide practical suggestions and, where relevant, discussion of current court and institutional practices. Applicable in both civil and criminal contexts, the work covers:
• The origins of Massachusetts mental health law
• The structure and goals of Massachusetts state agencies
• Voluntary and involuntary admissions and commitment
• Criminal issues
• Competence to make treatment and other decisions
• Commitment of alcoholics and substance abusers
You'll find court forms, along with author commentary on their use.