Emerging Issues in K-12 Campus Security is an authoritative, insider's perspective on the key legal and safety concerns for elementary and secondary school campuses nationwide. Featuring partners and campus security experts from some of the nation's leading firms, this book provides a broad yet comprehensive overview of the processes put into motion to better prepare for and respond to K-12 campus emergencies, particularly in the wake of recent school tragedies. Emphasizing the need for a formal campus emergency response plan, the authors discuss the measures they have implemented within their own schools to make them a safer place for students and staff alike. Covering a range of topics from monitoring issues related to domestic violence and sexual abuse to describing the evolving roles and responsibilities of school security personnel, these authorities provide examples of how school districts nationwide are responding to the need for increased security measures. Through technological advancements and enhanced security procedures, these leaders discuss legal and safety concerns that their communities will expect to be investigated, documented, communicated, and combated, including weapons and drug possession, criminal trespass, cyberbullying, and theft. The different niches represented and the breadth of perspectives presented enable readers to get inside some of the great minds of today, as experts offer a thorough and unprecedented view into improving campus security systems throughout the country.
Inside the Minds provides readers with proven business and legal intelligence from leading C-Level executives and lawyers. Each chapter offers thought leadership and expert analysis on an industry, profession, or topic, providing a future-oriented perspective and proven strategies for success. Each author has been selected based on their experience and C-Level standing within the business and legal communities.
- Daniel R. Pascale, Margolis Healy – “The Evolution of Campus Security Needs”
- James P. Drohan, Thomas Drohan Waxman Petigrow & Mayle LLP – “K-12 Security Concerns and Procedures”
- Corinne Hoover Six, Hoover Six & Associates LLC – “Working Collaboratively to Make Our Schools Safe: How Family Issues Affect School Security”
- Andrew Bracken, Ahlers & Cooney PC – “Changing Expectations for School Supervision of Students”
- Neil Flood, Webster Central School District, and Christopher D. Durkin, Blackhawk Emergency Management Group – “Safety, Security, and Emergency Planning on School Campuses”
- Catherine R. Guttman-McCabe, Potomac Law Group – “Emerging Legal Issues: Sexual Misconduct in Elementary and Secondary Schools”
Appendix A: Inter-Municipal Agreement
Appendix B: United States Department of Education and Department of Justice Joint Dear Colleague Letter on the Nondiscriminatory Administration of School Discipline
Appendix C: Form 10.01-D: Petition For Domestic Violence Civil Protection Order