Commercial Litigation in New York State Courts, a joint venture of Thomson Reuters and the New York County Lawyers Association, features the work of 256 expert authors, including some of the best commercial litigators in New York.
Enhanced with 28 new chapters, revisions to the chapters carried forward from the Fourth Edition, and discussion of hundreds of new cases, this seminal work has been completely updated, expanded, and revised to address pertinent subjects.
The authors discuss the interplay between rules of procedures and substantive law, outline strategies for representation of plaintiff and defendant, and consider ramifications of various actions. You’ll find:
- Effective strategies for each step of a case, from investigation and assessment through parties, pleadings, discovery, motions, experts, trial, appeal, and enforcement of judgment.
- Treatment of litigation expedition and streamlining, technology, and management by law firms, corporations, and judges.
- Extensive coverage of discovery procedures and strategy, including such topics as depositions, document requests, discovery of ESI, interrogatories, and requests for admission.
- Comprehensive treatment of remedies, including compensatory and punitive damages, specific performance, rescission, and more.
- Nine chapters covering every aspect of trial procedures, techniques, and strategies.
- Separate chapters on litigation avoidance and prevention, settlements, negotiations, mediation, arbitration, and international arbitration.
- Common chapter structure with time-saving and practical features for all topics and numerous cross references so you can quickly find the information you need.
- Procedural and practice checklists and checklists of allegations, defenses, and sources of proof that help you plan discovery and evaluate your case.
- Hundreds of pages of essential litigation forms and jury charges that facilitate document drafting and help you effectively manage a wide variety of cases.
You'll get 64 substantive law chapters that cover the subjects most often encountered in commercial cases, including contracts, insurance, sale of goods, banking, securities, antitrust, intellectual property, professional liability, business torts, franchising, and many others.
New chapters cover such additional topics as:
- Artificial intelligence.
- Career and practice development, marketing to potential business clients, teaching litigation skills, attorney discipline, and diversity and inclusion.
- Valuation of a business and of real property.
- Third-party litigation funding.
- Comparisons with commercial litigation in Delaware and foreign courts, cross-border litigation, and business courts.
- Deceptive and misleading business practices, fraud, fraudulent conveyance, fiduciary duty litigation, and negligence.
- Joint ventures and limited liability companies.
- Fashion and retail, gaming, and private equity.
The text includes more than 40,000 citations to current cases, statutes, and rules. The set includes an appendix containing tables of laws, rules, and cases, plus an index.